International Museum Day
International Museum Day 2022 The Power of Museums
The power of innovating on digitalisation and accessibility: Museums have become innovative playing-grounds where new technologies can be developed and applied to everyday life. Digital innovation can make museums more accessible and engaging, helping audiences understand complex and nuanced concepts.
The International Museum Day (IMD) on 18 May is an event organized by the International Council of Museums since 1977 to raise awareness that “museums are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.” ICOM
Culture knows no borders
This is the first year that Wikimedia Community Malta will be organising and taking part in International Museum Day. For several years, the event has been an occasion for Wikipedians to improve the presence of museums on Wikipedia, Wikidata, and further Wikimedia projects. This day event will help to improve the data about museums and related people. The overall project is coordinated by Wikimedia CH (WMCH) in association with Wikimedia Österreich (WMAT) and with direct support by Wikimedia Deutschland (WMDE) and the Volunteer Supporters Network (VSN). Wikimedia IMD
Wikimedia Community Malta is one of the participating Wikimedia organizations, working in collaboration with Heritage Malta for the Maltese component of this activity.
- Date: 18th May 2022
- Location: (to be announced)
- Time: (to be confirmed)
Presentation by Enrique Tabone, Connecting open data on Wikidata
Wikipedia editing workshops: Improving, editing, and translating articles
Wikidata workshop: How to contribute and improve Wikidata
Program & Events Dashboard to track the contributions will be created closer to the event and linked here.
- Create a list of all Museums run by Heritage Malta
- Edit the Heritage Malta Wikipedia article and translate it to the Maltese Wikipedia Heritage Malta en Heritage Malta mt
- Fix and update Heritage Malta Wiki data Q3785211
- Create/Edit Wikipedia articles of all Heritage Malta Museums and translate them to Maltese
- Create/Update Wikidata of all Heritage Malta Museums and include coordinates for mapping
- Discussion about releasing high-resolution images on WikiCommons and information under a free license with a follow-up event on the 21st of May 2022
- Visualise and Map Data
- Putting Malta on the WikiData Museums Map
- Internatonal Museum Day 2022 - official event page on Meta Wiki