The Maltese-language Wikipedia or Wikipedija is something that Wikimedia Community Malta is committed to support. The project was created in the early years of Wikipedia development, along with many other languages, but remains largely underdeveloped.
- Wikipedija - L-Enċiklopedija Ħielsa
WCM's first public engagement with Wikipedija took the form of a presentation delivered by Dr Toni Sant during a seminar on translation organised by the European Commission's Representative Office in Malta at Europe House in Valletta on 24 November 2018. The presentation was called Using Wikipedija to engage with digital prospects for the Maltese language.
This was followed up with a Wikipedia Editing Workshop for Translators at the University of Malta on 17 January 2019. Further development has taken place in this area in 2020 and 2021.
Wikipedia in other "small" languages
This is a selection of Wikipedia links to projects in other languages that are spoken by a similar number of people as Maltese:
Interesting things to consider
- Google and Wikimedia Foundation Partner to Increase Knowledge Equity Online - 22 January 2019
- How Google’s GLOW Is Increasing Local Language Content On Wikipedia - 11 February 2019
- Evarist Bartolo makes case to Cabinet for online Maltese spellchecker - MaltaToday, 15 April 2019
Arctic Knot 2021
Neville Borg and Toni Sant have proposed a presentation for the Arctic Knot conference.
Celtic Knot 2020
Neville Borg and Toni Sant presented WCM's work on mt.wikipedia during the Celtic Knot 2020 conference. This work was developed further in collaboration with Davide Denti for the CEE Conference in October 2020.
- Here is their abstract/proposal.
- See also their work-in-progress discussion on this etherpad.
- Dizzjunarju Malti
- Glosbe - MT
- Il-Miklem - Vokabularju Tematiku, Enċiklopedija tal-Kliem, Tagħrif Kulturali.
- Deċizjonijiet tal-Kunsill Nazzjonali tal-Ilsien Malti (2008)