About Wikimedia Community Malta
Wikimedia Community Malta is registered voluntary organisation which promotes and supports Wikipedia, its sister projects, and other open knowledge resources in Malta. "Open" refers to information which is available for copying, reuse and modification, including for commercial uses, without cost or restriction other than attribution. Following the principles of Wikimedia, volunteers have a central role in all our activities.
Established in 2015 we are one of over forty similar associations in countries around the world, recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation but operationally and legally independent. We work with individuals, cultural and educational institutions, businesses and media companies to make freely licensed content available and to help other people re-use open content. We seek to have a close relationship with other open content organisations Malta, and with the global community of Wikimedia readers and editors.
We have recently undergone a process of refocusing of our activities, we are now entering an exciting new phase where we have a clear annual programme of activities to support our mission.
WANTED: Programme Coordinator
We are looking for a Programme Coordinator to work with our team of volunteers, initially for a period of one year with the possibility of renewing or extending the appointment beyond the first twelve months. The role will involve coordinating and delivering Wikimedia Community Malta's 2022 programme of activities, which involves running projects with our institutional collaborators, and involving volunteers in all aspects of Wikimedia Community Malta's programme activities.
Applications are welcome. The closing date is 5pm CET on 28th January 2022. Applications cannot be accepted after that date.
|Job Title:||Programme Coordinator|
|Hours:||On a contract for service basis (equivalent to approx 8 hrs/wk p.a.)|
|Location:||Valletta (and remote)|
|Reporting to:||Administrative Board|
|Pay:||€8,000 (excl VAT) over 12 months|
|Purpose of job:||To coordinate and deliver WCM's 2022 programme of activities, which involves running projects with our institutional collaborators and engaging/involving volunteers.|
1. Community Management
- Communicate proactively, effectively and regularly with all volunteers and organisations taking part in projects
- Actively recruit volunteers to maintain, develop and expand existing projects and activities
- Provide support to the WCM Administrative Board, particularly providing assistance to the Board as needed
- Develop and deliver a range of activities, such as Wikipedia editing events, Wikidata workshops, meetups, etc.
2. Volunteer Engagement and Development
- Deliver training (new skills and top-up) to new and existing volunteers, to develop our supporter base
- Regularly assess training methods and materials in line with changing volunteer and partner needs, making sure the materials are current and relevant
- Encourage involvement of volunteers in activities and grow the volunteer base
3. Database Management
- Handle documentation and record all relevant metrics against set goals
- Produce regular updates to the WCM Administrative Board on a monthly, quarterly, annual basis, as needed
4. Evaluation and Impact
- Monitor and evaluate partnership projects.
- Undertake impact measurement, assessment and evaluation of all projects, including collecting feedback from stakeholders, and formal report writing (including annual and periodic reports) in collaboration with WCM Administrative Board members
5. Project Development
- Seek potential opportunities for new, one-off projects or collaborative working
- Bring volunteers into potential and existing projects, increasing the engagement
- Monitor and organise resource for activities (including expenditure)
- Work to achieve individual and team outcomes, supporting other members of the community with their projects when necessary
- Maintain highly professional standards in delivering a quality service to ensure the smooth running of the projects
- Coordinate one-off events and new projects as and when required
- Support collaboration in knowledge sharing with other affiliates of the global Wikimedia Movement
- Proven experience of project management, particularly involving partner organisations
- Experience of organising a wide range of events
- Evaluation and report writing
- Experience of working effectively with a team of volunteers and supporting volunteers
- Experience of delivering training at a variety of levels, maintaining materials and supporting volunteer knowledge transfer
- Direct knowledge of Wikimedia Community Malta's activities in recent years, especially in the context of Malta's voluntary sector
- Knowledge of the global Wikimedia Movement and direct experience with the work of some of its affiliates outside Malta
- Experience of budgeting, allocating resources and seeking additional funding
Skills and Abilities
- Passionate about the aims and values of Wikimedia Community Malta
- Understanding of the open culture and the Wikimedia projects
- Understanding of the legal framework within which the voluntary sector operates in Malta
- Excellent software skills, including word-processing, spreadsheets, wikis, and databases
- Flexible approach, with the capability to be a team player and identify and manage opportunities and risk
- Initiative, ability to manage own time
- Ability to communicate effectively, including writing skills
- Registered with VAT Department in Malta, even if exempt (VAT number will be needed for payment of service)
- Ability to read and write in Maltese and English to a professional level
How to apply
To apply for this position please send your CV and a brief cover letter outlining your suitability for this job to mailwikimalta.org with 'Programme Coordinator application’ in the subject line. In your brief cover letter, please ensure you give details of why you feel you would be the best candidate for this post with reference to the key tasks and your relevant experience, using examples. Please also explain your understanding of and commitment to the Wikimedia ethos with personal examples to demonstrate this. Successful candidates may also be asked to provide two non-WCM volunteers or Administrative Board Members who can approached to provide appropriate references.
All communications relating to this job description will be dealt with in confidence.
Deadline for applications: 5pm CET on 28th January 2022.
- Equal Opportunities: Wikimedia Community Malta has a commitment to achieving equality of opportunity in the employment of people, and expects all employees and volunteers to understand and promote its policies in their own work.
- Fire, Health and Safety: Wikimedia Community Malta is committed to a healthy and safe working environment and expects all its employees to consider and integrate health and safety in all work activities.
- Sustainable Development: Wikimedia Community Malta is committed to the principles of sustainable development and all employment contractors are expected, in so far as possible, to maintain work practices in line with the principles of sustainable development.
- Continuing Professional Development: Wikimedia Community Malta is committed to the continuing professional development of all its staff and volunteers. Employment contractors are expected to develop learning plans, in consultation with the WCM Administrative Board, in order to undertake training or other career development opportunities that they feel would develop their work and the operation of the Voluntary Organisation.
- Data Protection: Wikimedia Community Malta holds sensitive data on its board members, volunteers, donors and those using its services. All employment contractors are required to maintain an awareness of data protection responsibilities, and to execute all relevant duties with tact, discretion and due respect to confidentiality.