Wiki Loves Folklore
Wiki Loves Folklore is an international photographic contest organized annually at Wikimedia Commons to document folk cultures in different regions of the world. Wikimedia Community Malta organized the first edition for this contest in Malta in 2022. Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 is a continuation of Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 with the theme of folk culture. The origin of the project started in 2018 from Wiki Loves Love 2019 on the theme of ceremonies and festivals of love.
Wiki Loves Folklore also extends to the related activity called Feminism and Foklore, which is an international writing contest organized at Wikipedia annually around the same time to document folk cultures and women in folklore in different regions of the world. However, the theme here is very loose and a wide range of articles dealing with feminism (but not folklore) and folklore (without a feminist focus) are also included.
- Login to your Wikimedia account or (create a Wikimedia account here)
- Make sure that your account includes your email address as this is the way you'll be contacted if you win.
- UPLOAD HERE (throughout the month of FEBRUARY - until 31 March)
- Indicate the country where your photo was taken
This photography contest is focused on folk culture of different regions on categories, such as, but not limited to: folk festivals, folk dances, folk music, folk activities, folk games, folk cuisine, folk wear, folklore, and tradition, including ballads, folktales, fairy tales, legends, traditional song and dance, folk plays, games, seasonal events, calendar customs, folk arts, folk religion, mythology etc. You can check out some examples here.
Scope in Malta
As the contest takes place throughout the month of February and into March, in Malta the focus is particularly on the Feast of St. Paul's Shipwreck (on 10 February in Valletta, Marsalforn and Munxar), Carnival across Malta and Gozo, and preparations for Lent and Holy Week. However, this focus is not meant to exclude other topics of interest.
Folk culture by country, Folk art, Chinese fortune telling, Folk dance, Europeade, Folk festivals, Folklore, Folk games, Gavari, Folk groups, Folk magic, Folk museums, Folk music, Newweling, Folk religion, Traditional music, Traditional songs, Traditional food, etc.
- 1st prize: 400 USD
- 2nd prize: 200 USD
- 3rd prize: 100 USD
- Top 10 consolation prizes: 10 USD each
- Best Video prize and best Audio prize: 25 USD, 25 USD (each)
- Top uploader prize for images: First Prize 100 USD, Second prize 50 USD
- Wiki Loves Folklore Postcards to top 100 Uploaders
- Certificates and postcards to Local Organizers
(Disclaimer: Prizes to be dispersed in a gift card or voucher format by International organizing team, not by Wikimedia Community Malta.)
- February 1 – March 31
- Start for photo submissions: February 1
- Deadline for photo submissions: March 31
- Start for article submission: March 1
- Deadline for article submissions: March 31
- National Results Declaration: early May
- International Results Declaration: To be declared at WLF 2023 page on Commons
- Email contact: mailwikimalta.org
- You may contact the international team through the talk page on Commons.
- FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
Organizing team in Malta
Feminism & Folklore
These will lead into the Feminism and Folkore/Art+Feminism session/s during the first week of March.
All images uploaded via the special upload wizard will be put in the Category:Images from Wiki Loves Folklore 2023.
All uploads from Malta need to indicate the country where the photo was taken, and they will appear at Category:Images from Wiki Loves Folklore 2023 in Malta.
If you don't specify the country during upload, your images are likely to end up in the category of images from an unknown country.
This was the first time that Malta participated in Wiki Loves Folklore. A pilot contest was organised, which did not have a local competition but the photos submitted in Malta were entered directly into the international contest.
- Category:Images from Wiki Loves Folklore 2022
- Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 on Wikimedia Commons
- Feminism & Folklore 2022 Malta Dashboard